Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Any Cisco VOIP techs out there?

I have been a CISCO data and voip engineer for a long time...If you would like to become a CISCO voip tech then the first thing you need to do is get a solid handle on data networking. Please remember that VOIP is still voice OVER IP. Meaning if you don't understand how data networking works you are going to have an EXTREMELY hard time learning VOIP. I worked in CISCO data networking full time for about 7 years before I ventured into CISCO Voice. Because you already understand switched voice you do have a head start to a degree. I would highly recommend starting out with the traditional CCNA data certification then move on the CCNA voice certification. Finally you should study CCNP and then CCVP. Please understand this is not for the faint of heart...I have seen many old school voice folks who just couldn't cut it as a VOIP engineer because they couldn't get their head around data networking. That being said if you can do it you can learn VOIP, but it takes a long time to get really good. It took me about 4 years of working with Cisco VOIP to be able to install an entire phone system from scratch by myself. When I took my CCVP bootcamp back in 2006 there were 14 people in the class and only two of us passed the CCVP the first time out. This was mostly due to the fact most of the folks had little to no data networking background. I am currently certified from CISCO with CCNP/CCVP/CCDP. Good Luck...

No comments:

Post a Comment